RE: [IP] a1c/highs and lows-a yeah, but........

M M [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Still,
> Isn't the A1c only an average of the glycosated hgb so that
> one person with
> a lot of highs and severe lows may have a lower one than someone who
> consistently has BS's of 150?  That's the way we've always
> understood it to
> be.  I think what we are trying to say is that we'd rather
> see someone with
> the steady 150 than with lots of 400's and 20's!

Yes, that's more or less correct.  HbA1c is an average, but it isn't
necessarily an arithmetic mean, but is the result of some fairly complex
biological processes.  But in the long run, I don't know if the swings
versus steady BG gives a worse prognosis or not with respect to prognosis of
complications.  There are, of course, other ramifications of having wide
swings that may not be directly associated with complications.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR