RE: [IP] a1c/highs and lows-a yeah, but........

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:07:10 -0400
From: "Handsfield, James H." <email @ redacted>
Subject: RE: [IP] a1c/highs and lows

Isn't the A1c only an average of the glycosated hgb so that one person with
a lot of highs and severe lows may have a lower one than someone who
consistently has BS's of 150?  That's the way we've always understood it to
be.  I think what we are trying to say is that we'd rather see someone with
the steady 150 than with lots of 400's and 20's!

Marj; Mike; and "Ace, the PP" (portable pancreas)

"The HbA1c by hemochromatography is *the* prognostic test for likelihood of
complications, specifically diabetic retinopathy (which is what the DCCT
studied).  It is our personal meters that are the approximation."