RE: [IP] school and the pump-long

Here's my approach for my son who is 8. Granted he is very motivated and
secure with his pump and this may make a difference. He is in a private
school with no nurse, which in our case may actually be a plus since all the
staff and teachers have made such an effort to become educated in his care.
Dean (my son) keeps his kit with him in class and is free to check his sugar
whenever he feels appropriate but always before lunch. The staff and
teachers will ask him to check it if he shows symptoms of either high or low
bs. Most of the time he does it without this prompting. For his lunch, I
individually label each item with a sticker which includes the bolus amount.
This way he can still eat based on his appetite and we know that the bolus
will be correct. We did however work on this during the summer so that it
was not a new concept for him. He keeps glucose tablets with him at all
times but so far (knock on wood) no severe low bs. I prefer the fact that he
has the glucometer with him instead of having to go to the office in the
event that he feels low.

BTW - I also include a sticker everyday with some kind of message and a
graphic. I print these out on labels and my sons really like it. It is a
little surprise to look forward to each day. I customize the pictures based
on their interests, holidays, etc. This is inexpensive but one of those
things that I think kids look back on and perhaps will smile. At least I
hope so!

Dana Barber Gonzales, MHSA
University Affiliated Program
Department of Pediatrics