[IP] hypo events

This problem is new to us so just wondering how many people experience the
same.  Joe, 13 and very active, had been on the pump since 12/00 was doing
really well on the pump but lately having hypos more frequently.  When he
realizes that he's dropping he might be in the 50's.  He of course treats
with a sugar source then will test again 10 minutes later to find out that
he's gone even lower in the 40's has another 15g's of sugar and will test
again in 10 min and still dropping and this could go on for 30-40 min before
we get him stabilized again.  Today in school he tested before lunch he was
170 had a slice of pizza bolused and right after eating had a major hypo
event.  Went from 50 to 43 to 36 to 29 it took him 30 minutes and treating
every 10 minutes (glucose tablets and 7-up) to get him back up to 113.
During this time he suspended.  What happens of course is after these
episodes then his sugars go sky high and he'll be in the high 200's.  Any
idea's why it takes him so long to come back up or for that matter why he
keeps dropping even after eating sugar sources?  I would appreciate any feed
back on this.  He also seems to have become more insulin sensitive lately the
first day we change his site he seems to have more hypo events than others
and we had to change last night.

Thanks for your help.
Ana (Joe's aunt 13 yrs. old Dx: 3/00 pumping since 12/00)