Re: [IP] Is anyone on Avandia?

In a message dated 8/30/01 1:25:44 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  The letter says, in bold-faced type: "The use of Avandia in combination
 > therapy with insulin is not indicated" and goes on to say:
 >     "In clinical studies, an increased incidence of heart failure and
 other
 > cardiovascular adverse events were seen in patients on Avandia and insulin
 > combination therapy compared to insulin plus placebo.

 This statement doesn't support the idea that combining Avandia with insulin
 is dangerous. It only supports the statement that Avandia is dangerous.
 (Because it's the variable in this case).

 If they had had a group on Avandia plus placebo, and had seen an increased
 risk in the Avandia plus insulin group, then they would have been justified
 in that conclusion. >>

I don't understand your logic here, Natalie. The statement "In clinical
studies, an increased incidence of heart failure and other  cardiovascular
adverse events were seen in patients on Avandia and insulin combination
therapy compared to insulin plus placebo" says they studied patients on
Avandia and insulin and patients on placebo plus insulin and the ones on
Avandia plus insulin had a higher incidence of adverse CV events. Which, to
me, *does* support the statement that adding Avandia to insulin therapy
results in a higher increase of cardiovascular events.

Jan and Elvis