[IP] Re: Kindergarten

We are really, really lucky (and now I appreciate that even more after
hearing Barbara experiences in Canada!). I've got an incredible daycare that
was willing to learn to manage Ryan's diabetes. In fact, his class went on a
field trip today. I sent his food and his kit in a backpack and had him
carry it. His teacher took her cell phone. She called me to check on the
bolus amount since he didn't eat all of his snack :)  They check him about
every two hours (of course at this age they eat about every two hours). I
made a table that has a sliding scale bolus for them. The rows have the BG
range and the columns have the carb amounts - it is really easy for them to
look up the bolus amount - no math necessary (they are very caring people,
but math is not their strong suit). If any other parents are interested in
such a chart let me know and I can send it to you.

Ryan starts Kindergarten next year, and I'll start working with the school
later this year. I am hoping the school will be as receptive as his daycare.

Mom to Ryan (four and pumping since 8/17/00)
and Celia (seven and non-diabetic)