Re: [IP] pump

> In a message dated 8/28/2001 10:09:39 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> > Don't get stressed over the school response as long as they don't
> >  interfere. Teach your daughter to be self reliant and her teachers to
> >  help her if she is low.
> A very sensible approach for older kids (though I reallyl feel for
> the working parents of young school age kids and preschoolers who
> must depend on schools to look after their kids) . . . Tell me,
> Michael, what did you do about the whole glucagon issue?  Did you
> teach the teachers or just go for glucose tabs or other quick sugars
> and figure that they'd just call paramedics in case of a severe low
> ????
I provided all her teachers with the "Letter" on the KIDS page of the
web site and crossed my fingers. I reality, a severe low in the
daytime for an older child is a pretty remote possibility, at least
for a kid that is not hiding their diabetes. Lily was always open
about it after she started pump therapy. That wasn't true when she
was on shots, but she change remarkably when she got her pump. That
is really the reason I do this. That remarkable change should be
available to every child. For younger kids there needs to be better
back up. In any public school, parents can insist that there be
someone ALWAYS present that is trained in these procedures. The
biggest risk is not a low that causes the child to conk out, but a
noddle headed teacher sending a low kid off to the nurses office
ALONE. It is pretty simple to give glucose tabs or even gel if the
child is uncooperative. Low's should not progress to the point where
glucagon is required. Someone is not minding the farm if this occurs.