[IP] Re: Heat and insulin

At 09:00 AM 8/28/2001 -0700, insulin-pumpers-digest wrote:
>A thought occurred to me today as I was dying of heat. (Northern CA) I am
>waiting to get the pump and am wondering, If the sight is changed every 2 to 3
>days, is that how long the insulin should last? Wouldn't the insulin brake
>down? I mean it was over 100 degrees here today. Will the insulin tolerate
>that? We keep insulin in the refrigerator and all. Just wondering how this is
>supposed to work.

We live in Southern CA...right outside of Los Angeles along the coast and
it can get pretty warm here as well, although it's been a pretty cool
summer this year for a change.  But needless to say it's customary for us
to get a terrible heat wave the day school starts in September and have it
last well into October.

We got Anthony one of the Frio pump wallets.  It's doesn't keep the insulin
cold, but it keeps it cool...I think they said near 70.  We've used it once
when going out to San Bernardino for 4th of July and it worked
great.  Keeping it at hand for when school starts.

Their website address is:  http://www.friouk.com/ .  If the pump wallet
isn't listed, you just order the large one and in the comment box write
that it's for the pump wallet.  It cost just under $30 to include shipping.

Torrance, CA