Re: [IP] Re: Great A1c

>     I think your list is quite accurate, with one exception.  As a parent, I
>meet other parents with kids with great A1cs, who have never had bgs higher
>than 15.0!!!  (about 270 on the USA scale).  That both amazes and depresses
>me--I once joked that I just wanted to keep Claire on the meter, never mind
>within that narrow 80-150 range.  So I'm not sure that duration of Type 1 is
>a factor in easy control.  Some are just luckier I believe.  Doctors have
>just thought I didn't know what I was doing.....
>     I am feeling that I'm doing really well on the carb counting--course this
>is easier with kids, who don't like to have "mixed up" food.  But I have no
>control whatsoever over those intangibles--differing metabolic rates daily,
>differing absorption with every site change.  Prediction of these is really
>difficult, but when a site is working well, boy do we have great numbers!!
>Like today, everything between 3.4-7.2  (61-130).  But yesterday evening she
>shot up to 380 after being disconnected 80 minutes in the bath.  Only 1.0
>unit correction brought this down to the 7.2 (130) reading this morning.
>Barbara, Mum of Claire 7

I think all of the above is important to keep in mind.  I know
exactly how you feel regarding the great difference that there
apparently is in ease of control from one perosn to another!

This is especially frustrating when doctors insist that "well most of
my other patients are doing OK; you must be doing something wrong"
phrase comes up.

I am sure there have been past discussions releating to theories on
why this is so.  I believe a couple of hypotheses are:  some people
never leave the honeymoon stage and some people retain minimal
function of their pancreas etc.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Of course we are all different but to date I've yet to come across a
doctor who will acknowledge this one.  Here's proof:  some go
unconscious of a hypo isn't treated.  With me; I can ignore a hypo
and eventually the liver will fully correct the bg without me
reaching the point of going unconscious.  Go figure.
Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Nine months pumping thanks to the support of wonderful internet
friends & IP.org

Insulin infusion pump has given me better control than I had achieved
in 27 years of MDI!  To date:  50% improvement in average bg's &
fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &  7.0  (N = 4.3 - 5.8).