[IP] Re: Great A1c

In a message dated 8/28/01 12:29:57 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<<  But yesterday evening she shot up to 380 after being disconnected 80
minutes in the bath.  >>

Barbara, if you know she is going to be disconnected for a while, and if she
is not already on the low side, you might want to give her part of her basal
before she disconnects.  When I disconnect for a bath or shower or other
non-athletic event, I usually prime bolus a tenth or two (up to about 30
minutes worth of insulin) before I disconnect, leave the pump running, and
check the history before and after disconnecting to see how much I have
missed, then when I reconnect prime bolus for the difference between the
missed amount and what I have prime bolused before.  It generally works as
well (by the measurements I can make) as having a basal running if I am
disconnected for an hour or less, almost as well for up to about 90 minutes.

Linda Z