[IP] Driver's responibilities

Hi All

When I first became a diabetic I held an endorsement on my driver
lic. to drive a school bus in NJ. The laws have changed a little bit in
NJ since but at the time if you were insulin dependent you could
not hold the endorsement.

Once DX I shortly after had to renew my endorsement and told
motor vehicle why I was not. This was a big mistake. If flagged my
lic and I had to submit for the next 3 years a medical form signed
by my doctor with a current Ha1c under 7% every 3 months or my
lic was immediately suspended. Things were not as computerized
as they are now (not that I think it would have help) and during that
time I would often on receive the paperwork in time or be able to
get a doctor's appointment etc....and my lic ended up suspended
several times. Once go pulled over during that time on a spot
check and was on the suspended list and didn't know it. It was very
expensive to say the least.

Since that time I periodically get the medical form (as a spot
check) and have less than 30 days to return it to motor vechiles or
my lic is suspended til they review it. This is often a major pain.

My moral ended up being to warn other diabetic not to alert NJ
motor vehicles that you are diabetic or else you could be put thru
the same torture. This actually requires than breaking the law
because when you fill out you renewal form you are asked if you
suffer from seizure. In NJ the law is written that if you are insulin
dependent you must say yes to this question because there is the
possibility of suffering a low blood sugar reaction which they
consider a seizure. Regardless of the fact if you have ever had a
low blood sugar reaction.

Sometimes you have to beware on who you tell.  This is not
information that is available to the police by computer which would
than maybe make sense to help asist in an emergency.

Gail J Donohue