[IP] Re: Kindergarten

In a message dated 8/27/01 4:42:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< We met with them with Adam, and showed them the pump, where it was on him,
 to take it out, how to bolus, etc. We explained the need to ask him if he ate
 all his snack before bolusing. They also brought two other people in  to
 how to operate his pump, to give him one unit after his snack, in case the
 teacher was away. I found it helpful to get these "supply" people to do it
 regularly, as it seems so easy to us, they forget.   >>

Linda, I am quite surprised that your school did this for you.  Are you in
the Public School system?
    For you parents in the USA, here in Canada we have no protection for our
children like you do with your 504s.
    The school last year refused to have Claire given any sort of assistance
and I eventually became quite concerned for her safety. All I wanted was some
assurance that a low bg would be taken care of.  I do not want anyone to
touch the pump in any situation. The legal issue of any medical matters in
schools is not clear cut in Ontario.  When the VP phoned me today to update
Claire's medical file I told her I could not send her back to her school as I
didn't feel she was safe.  If the Separate school board won't take her (and
they don't have to as Claire is not Catholic) I will be forced to home school
this year.
    If Adam is with the public board, I would love to have any specifics on
what sort of care he will obtain.  But it appears that these things are
decided on a school-by-school basis.
P.S.  Posted this to the list, as I thought other Canadian parents may be

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7