[IP] Re: Great A1c

In a message dated 8/27/01 4:42:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 The above are my non-statistical "feelings" for what i've read on
 this list and experienced in person with other pumpers over the last
 few years.  Any thoughts?

    I think your list is quite accurate, with one exception.  As a parent, I
meet other parents with kids with great A1cs, who have never had bgs higher
than 15.0!!!  (about 270 on the USA scale).  That both amazes and depresses
me--I once joked that I just wanted to keep Claire on the meter, never mind
within that narrow 80-150 range.  So I'm not sure that duration of Type 1 is
a factor in easy control.  Some are just luckier I believe.  Doctors have
just thought I didn't know what I was doing.....
    I am feeling that I'm doing really well on the carb counting--course this
is easier with kids, who don't like to have "mixed up" food.  But I have no
control whatsoever over those intangibles--differing metabolic rates daily,
differing absorption with every site change.  Prediction of these is really
difficult, but when a site is working well, boy do we have great numbers!!
Like today, everything between 3.4-7.2  (61-130).  But yesterday evening she
shot up to 380 after being disconnected 80 minutes in the bath.  Only 1.0
unit correction brought this down to the 7.2 (130) reading this morning.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7