Re: [IP] Re: Great A1c

>he would have to be out of control to have an A1c as high
>as 6.0, but I have a hard time imagining him going as high as 7.0.
>One thing that I've observed about my son is that he seems to be intuitive
>about matching his insulin needs to whatever food he has eaten.  I think this
>accounts for the low A1c's, because whether he eats pasta, pizza, Chinese
>food, or any of the other trouble-makers, he seems to know just how much
>insulin to take, and how to spread it out over time to avoid the peaks and
>valleys, whether a carb count is provided or not.
>And he definitely has a life

I've noticed a pattern over the years as far as contrasting those who
usually get normal range A1C's without any extraordinary effort and
those, like me, who despite several years' carb counting experience,
who measure and weigh and who crank statistical spreadsheets (and
have no life) trying to get a decent A1C:

These oberservations apply to many but not all pumpers:

Those who put extraordinary effort into trying to get decent A1C's:

- seem to be longer duration type I's with complications
- seem to have very high sensitivity to the smallest error in carb counts
- seem to have very high sensitivity to the smallest changes in
routine or activity levels
- seem to be "perfectionists" re: DM

Those who "eyeball" most foods and do not devote most of their spare
time to DM but yet still have a decent A1C:

- seem to be shorter duration type I's (say less than 20 years)
- seem to either have a talent for nailing carb counts or are not
highly sensitive to small dietary errors
- seem to be able to stay at normal range bg levels without taking
into account each and every small alteration in daily routine or
activity levels.
- seem to be less stressed out about DM than most

The above are my non-statistical "feelings" for what i've read on
this list and experienced in person with other pumpers over the last
few years.  Any thoughts?

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Nine months pumping thanks to the support of wonderful internet
friends & the http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ mailing list.  Please
donate NOW!

Insulin infusion pump as given me better control than I had achieved
in 27 years of MDI!  To date:  50% improvement in average bg's &
fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &  7.0  (N = 4.3 - 5.8).