[IP] Re: Forearm testing

At 10:36 AM 8/27/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>We recently picked up an At Last meter for our daughter who is 10.  She
>likes the thought of forearm testing to save her fingertips.  I was hoping
>you could point me to the research you referenced in your post and also
>any info on how At Last compares to the two meters you referenced.  She
>doesn't get enough blood 1/2 the times she tries it but has no problems
>with fingertips.
>Thanks for any insight you can provide!
>Connie Fontaine

A summary of the research results and a link to the technical paper is
located at http://www.therasense.com/freestyle/white_paper.html

In terms of comparison to the At Last meter and the problem your daughter
has had getting enough blood, the Therasense FreeStyle meter requires a
sample of 0.3 ul. I can not find the required sample size for the At Last
meter.(it is not in their ads, on the web site and their telephone people
are unable or unwilling to disclose it). Another meter using relatively
small amounts of blood is the Lifescan Ultra (1.0 ul). My suggestion would
be to try another meter. The cost is small compared to being aggravated
with what you have  many times a day.

My experience with the combination of the FreeStyle meter and Bayer's
Vaculance Lancing device has been terrific - in 5 months I have tested
between1600 - 1800 times and I have not had to lance twice (to get enough
blood) more than 4 or 5 times.