Re: [IP] supporting spouse/husband's problems with lows

Though I don't know your husband and can't be sure what is happening with
him, I can tell you about my own experience.  I am diabetic (for 35 years)
and over the past 15 years or so have had difficulty detecting lows.  I have
always had pretty tight control which can sometimes lead to having too many
lows.  I have been on a pump for almost two years and during that time, my
ability to see lows coming has improved markedly.  But they still can creep
up on me.  If I am only a little low and my wife (who is extremely
perceptive about the level of my blood sugar) suggests that it might be time
to check my blood sugar, I do that and if need be, have something to eat to
bring it back up.  But if I am really low and having a serious reaction, I
have a tendency to get a little combative like your husband and not drink
the orange juice being offered.  Why I react that way is not clear to me.
It isn't that I am in denial at that point, but because my brain is not
quite working right, I do not do what I would if all my faculties were
working properly.  What I think is happening is that my base instinct to
avoid eating sugar is simply stronger than the threat of being comatose from
low blood sugar.  I know this doesn't make sense but it is the only rational
reason that I can come up with.  After one of these sessions occurs, I am
always sorry for not cooperating and gulping down the orange juice but no
matter how much I try to reason with myself, I cannot get my brain to change
the way it makes me react in these low blood sugar circumstances.  It is
very frustrating to my wife I can assure you, but it is also frustrating for
me.  I keep trying to pound it into my head to just 'take my medicine' when
my blood sugar is very low.

Fortunate thing is that being on the pump has evened out things much better
for me so that the extreme lows are few and far between.  I don't know if
this will happen for your husband or not but the potential for that is
certainly there. The other thing that helps avoid these problems is checking
blood sugars often.  I check mine 8-12 times a day and ALWAYS before
driving.  There is little excuse not to.  I suggest some more discussion and
reasoning with your husband (if that is possible) might be appropriate but
it may be difficult to change the way he reacts when blood sugar is really
low.  In any case, good luck with it.

Bob Goodman
Northern California