Re: [IP] Re: Control too tight

----- Original Message -----
From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 11:27 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Control too tight

> James Parsons wrote:
> >
> > I have been told that HBA1Cs below 7.0 are desirable, but that the law
> > diminishing returns applies as you continue downward e.g., shooting for
> > below 6.0 does not result in significant benefits and in fact may mean
> > control is prehaps too tight (that sounds weird!).
> My A1c are usually between 5.0 and 5.5 -- and myBGs are decidedly not
> always in normal range -- I average between 130 - 150 on my meter! And
> no, my meter is not off, and no, I'm not having hypos unawares -- I just
> simply have a low A1c.

>  Natalie A. Sera, with all her ducks in a row!
>  Type Weird, pumping!
natalie, are you having a lot of lows? that alone can bring your A1C down
even if you are higher than that most other times, as my endocrinologist
told me. i have been on the pump only 3 weeks and before that i was told by
my endo i shouldn't have an A1C lower than 8 and was happier to see them at
9, because i have hypoglycemia unawarenesws and had two car accidents from
before i decided to stop driving. my last accident was a single car accident
where i brok 17-20 bones, crushed a vertebrate in my lower back and cracked
one in my neck with no spinal cord injury, my angels were working overtime!
    But the gentleman you responded to was right. In the tight control group
in the DCCT they averahged 150 as they bg and ALL had severe hypoglyce,ic
episodes many of which required another person to help them out of it. but
they all saw a decrease in the complication rates, so i don't understand why
doctor now are trying so hard to make everyone stay between 80 and 120 BG
when being slightly higher than that produces the same result. i wrote a
letter to diabetes forecast magazine asking that same question and so far
i've seen rno reply in their Ask Us section.
peace & love
bret & Trane, kind of blue MM 508