Re: [IP] Great A1c

----- Original Message -----
From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 8:05 PM
Subject: [IP] Great A1c

> Hi All,
> I have only been pumping since February and in July had my quarterly blood
> work done and was thrilled to see that my A1c was down to 5.8!  This also
> was achieved without so many highs & lows so it makes it that much better.
> Some days I almost feel "normal".   This pump is such a awesome tool!
> Interestingly  enough, I was recently at a meeting where there were people
> on pumps and people considering going on.  A pump rep was also there.  A
> "gentleman" who has been on his pump for 5 years was talking quite a bit
> saying what his target goal was when someone asked him what his A1c was.
> wouldn't say and said that he didn't always reach his target.  The rep
> interrupted and said that some people were able to reach #'s for their
> in the 4's & 5's.  The "gentleman" then said "those people need to get a
> life".  I was so mad when I heard him say that.  I do have a life and
> focus my whole life on my disease, but certainly want to do as well as I
> can.  What a insult!
> Oh well, just wanted to share my happy news and I did update my IP
> Thanks,   Brenda
Hate to put a pin in your balloon but i tend to agree more with the
gentleman who said people who have A1C's in the 4 and 5's need to get a
life. many endocrinologists will say that is too low for a diabetic. the
lower you go the more you are likely to develop hypoglycimia unawareness
which i have and it is terrible. Plus how much do you gain? The average
blood sugar of those in the tight control group of the DCCT only had an
average blood glucose of 150, yet now many feel it only appropriate to go
well below these numbers when those in the tight DCCT control group all have
severe low blood glucose problems requiring help from another. So becareful
behind the wheel or i'll tell you why i voluntarily gave up my licence to
drive. peace and love.
bret & Trane, kind of blue MM 508