Re: [IP] Mumps

In the Spring of fifth grade, everyone at school got Mumps...except for me.
But later that Fall I was diagnosed with Diabetes after I had just turned 11.
 I had the classic symptoms of IDDM all summer long and the was finally
diagnosed November 18.  I was never immunized against Mumps...but I have
antibodies against it per my physician...I was in a study to assess the
relationship between immune reactions and Diabetes about 5-6 years after I
was diagnosed.  Was told that Mr. Mumps likes to hide in the islet cells of
the pancreas and when the body is attacking Mr. Mumps, it accidentally
destroys the islet cells.

I would have rather had the Mumps for a few days/weeks than this the rest of
my life!

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD, CPT
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Certified Minimed Pump Trainer
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18+ years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
(First with Disetronic, now with MM 508 and much happier!)
e-mail: email @ redacted
e-mail: email @ redacted

'Nobody when knows when they are going to die...we could all step out into
the street tomorrow and get hit by a bus.  But those of us living with a
chronic disease can see that bus coming.' - - - unknown

'Diabetes is a disease of complications waiting for them to happen.' - - -
Mary Tyler Moore