[IP] Delayed reaction to humalog

Hi all:

I have definitely found that it takes at least 3-4 hours for my humalog to
peak and do it's work.

I have spoken to my endo and d.e. and they both said there isn't much you
can do for it.  This means that I cannot prevent spikes after eating because
the insulin just doesn't want to do it's thing in my body.

I'm having a hard time trying to make my hubby understand all of this and he
keeps telling me I was better off w/injections.  I want to tell him, why
don't you stick yourself w/needles 4-5 times or more a day?  And then NEVER
know which insulin is peaking and when? Grrrr.

Anyway, I know lots of you made suggestions about taking insulin earlier but
that is almost impossible if you don't know what you will be eating and
almost as bad as injecting and being on a time clock all over again.

Others have wrote about mixing insulins but this would not be a good thing
for me as if I use anything remotely similar to regular peaked 4-6 hours
after I take it.

I am now thinking that if I keep a higher basal rate, that might keep me a
little on a more even keel but then again, I don't want to be having lows
all the time either.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, how do you deal with it?

Kathy B.