Re: [IP] Finally Approved to Get a Pump!!

In a message dated 8/25/2001 12:10:21 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Anyone here
>  use the animas pump?

We have it (my 10 year old daughter uses it) and we love it.  Our choices
weren't limited (thought I sure understand your frustration with your ins. co
for putting those kinds of limitations on you).  We did a lot of research and
decided that Animas was the best available pump currently available (based on
our needs and preferences).  Here are some of the reasons we chose it:

-- WATERPROOF:  We felt strongly that this was an essential feature and
actual use has proven this to be true for us.  Being waterproof means you
don't NEED to disconnect, even though you CAN if you choose to.  Staying
connected really help us take advantage of some well-tuned basal rates . . .
Katie wears her pump all the time, even in the shower (where she just clips
it to the shampoo holder).  In the last three months, she has only chosen to
disconnect when trying on clothes at the mall and when going off the high
dive at the local pool . . .  She wore her Animas pump in the ocean everyday
while we were in Hawaii for three weeks -- no problem!

--  EASY TO USE:  The Animas pump is menu driven, so you don't have to
memorize anything to operate it -- we haven't even cracked the manual since
Katie started pumping on the first of June.  My ten year old had it mastered
very quickly, even use of the "advanced" features .  .  .  What's really
great is that this ease of use wasn't achieved by limiting the pumps
capabilities -- this pump has all the bells and whistles we were looking for
(and even some that we haven't needed yet).

-- EASY TO OPERATE:  Filling and changing cartridges and batteries, etc. is
also really easy -- this is something that I hadn't really thought about when
first researching the various pumps.  Also, the Animas pump uses standard
batteries that I can buy locally, not some proprietary batteries that I can
only get from
the manufacturer.  Even though I do get our batteries from Animas, it's nice
to know I can run out to Target or Wlamart & pick some up in a pinch . . .
There are some real differences between the pumps in this area (the
"mechanics" of changing cartridges, batteries, etc.), and I recommend to
everyone that they have someone demonstrate these processes for them (filling
catridges/reservoirs, priming sets, changing
batteries) on every pump they're considering.

-- PRECISION & SAFETY:  In fine tuning Katie's basal rates, we found that
being able to adjust them in increments of .05 units per hour made a
noticeable difference in keeping her glucose levels extremely stable during
the night (all the other pumps only work in .1 increments).  The Animas pump
has the most sensitive occlusion detection system and performs 1,000 safety
checks per minute (hence the "1000" in it's name).  We also like the fact
that it has non-volatile memory (that won't get erased from static
electricity -- a common problem here in dry ol' Colorado).

--  BASALS:  We like that that Animas pump delivers basal doses of insulin
every three minutes and we especially being able to have multiple basal
profiles (up to four) pre-programmed so that we can easily switch from one to
the other (like on days when her monthly hormone cycle makes her significatly
more insulin resistent).  We also use the temporary basal feature A LOT on
days when Katie is exercising -- she loves being able to just lower her
basals instead of having to eat right before exercising (like she had to do
on shots in order to keep from going low).

-- BEST LOOKING (In my Daughter's Opinion):  The Animas pump looks like a
pager (and is about the same size).  My daughter mostly wears hers with the
clip that let's it hang on her waistband however she likes
(horizontal/vertical), but it's the interchangeable fashion covers and cover
stickers that she really loves . . . somehow that makes the pump more
personal and less like some medical device . . .

We love the Animas pump and have been very pleased with the quality of
service we've experienced, both before and after the "sale."  Everyone we've
dealt with at Animas has been helpful, knowledgeable, and just plain nice.
It's too bad your insurance company is limiting your options but, I'm sure
you'll be very happy with Animas -- We sure are!

PumpMama to Katie (Age 10, Dx'd 11/00) happily pumping since 6/1/01 with
Her Animas Pump "Elvis"