[IP] University of Miami Football Player with diabetes and insulin pump

tm">Miami Herald: UM is counting on kicking game</A>

Published Friday, August 24, 2001
UM is counting on kicking game

Coker happy with Sievers, Capshaw

<A HREF="mailto:email @ redacted">email @ redacted</A> When the big guys
get finished knocking heads, coach Larry
Coker takes solace in knowing that two who shun contact could make a big
difference this season at the University of Miami.Kicker Todd Sievers and
punter Freddie Capshaw.``They've been outstanding. And so has the deep
snapper, Chris Harvey,'' Coker said.Sievers, a 6-3, 215-pound junior from
Ankeny, Iowa, overcame two concussions and a diabetes diagnosis in November
to convert 11 of 17 field-goal attempts (64.7 percent) and led the team with
85 points.But his problem has been field goals beyond 40 yards.Sievers made
only 1 of 6 in the 40- to 49-yard range. He made 5 of 5 in the 30- to 39-yard
range, 4 of 5 in the 20- to 29-yard range and one of under 20 yards.An odd
Sievers fact: He kicked two 50-yard extra points last season, once against
Boston College after two unsportsmanlike penalties and one after UM's final
touchdown against Florida in the Sugar Bowl.Sievers also kicked three field
goals in the Sugar Bowl, a 44-yarder and two 29-yarders.``Some of it is
psychological,'' Coker said of Siever's long-range kicking. ``But the long
field goals are tough. Your margin of error is diminished. He's only missed
one spotted inside the 30, and that's good.''Coker said Sievers hit at least
two field goals in the recent scrimmages that went ``in the 50-, 52-yard
range. He's got the leg, he's got the distance, he's got the accuracy, and
I've been really impressed with Todd.'' Sievers said he is doing better than
ever since his diabetes has been controled with an insulin pump, which
attaches with tubes his stomach and continually inserts insulin into his
body.``It's like a little IV,'' he said, ``I'm going to take it off while I'm
playing and see how that goes. I'm also trying out some new stuff --
harnesses that sit below my pads. If it's comfortable, I'll wear it in the
game.''As for Capshaw, Coker called him ``phenomenal. He's the best punter in
the Big East and he's ours. It's unbelievable how he launches the ball.''The
5-11, 190-pound junior led the Big East in 2000, and is a candidate for the
Ray Guy Award, recognizing college football's outstanding punter. Last year,
Capshaw ranked 12th in the NCAA with a 43.2-yard average in 49 attempts. He
had nine punts of 50-plus yards during and placed seven inside the opponents'
20-yard line.``The kicking game should be excellent,'' Capshaw said. ``Todd
and I are seasoned veterans now.''
 Coker said the Hurricanes worked with the scout team Thursday in preparing
for next week's opener at Penn State. ``It's always a little bit ragged when
you do that,'' he said. ``We've done a lot of the game plan just because
we've had extra time, but we'll [implement] it in bits and pieces.''

 It's becoming evident defensive ends Jamaal Green (sprained ankle) and
Cornelius Green (turf toe) might not start next week. Jamaal Green was at
practice, but did very little work. ``He's not ready to play right now,''
Coker said. ``If we played tomorrow, I wouldn't see him playing.''Coker said
Cornelius Green overcompensated with the bad side of his foot and started
getting pain on the opposite side.Fullback Najeh Davenport (twisted ankle)
ran well in practice, Coker said, and had no swelling. Linebacker Jarrell
Weaver (shoulder) had no contact