Re: [IP] Tape problems HELP

  Hello, I hope some of the ideas I have tried work for you.
> Hi we have problem with the tape sticking to my 6
year old son and are losing many sites because of this.
We use the soft set micros from Mini med.
Suggestions needed.  Have had to change set already twice
since Tuesday.
Sharon H
Mom to Sean 6 dx 1/99

I was reading some old notes from back then about what a new pumper needs to know about; I have updated some of it. Remember most of the things you use, you need to check with your Doctor to see if it is right for you.
    1.Dial soap-wash your hands!!!!!

    2. Infusion sets, come in all sizes and types. Most all will work on any pump made so if you have problem with one kind try another! One size does not fit all!  Extension set-can be use if infusion set is to short or if you want to put it in your sox.

    3.Alcohol swabs-you can't have too many.

    4.Skin-Prep- Puts protective barrier between skin & tape made by Smith & Nephew #420400 Give it time to setup some!

    5.I.V. Prep-antiseptic germicide swabs, if you have a problem with infection it can help. Made by S&N #4210-00 NDC 50484-210-00

    6.Betadine Solution swab-good antiseptic-germicide pads. Watch it can stain clothes. If you don't wipes it off skin it leaves a barrier on skin, helps hold dressing down.NDC 0034-2135-80

    7.Hibiclens skin cleanser-I use it to clean site with it in the shower. Made by Zeneca NDC 0310-0575-16

    8.Uni-Solve-adhesive remover Made by S & N #402300

    9.Tegaderm- good dressing Made by 3M, or Tegaderm HP holds better when it gets wet or hot out, Opsite IV3000-good dressing Made by S&N

    10.Hypafix retention sheet-I use it to hold down ten/sil/com & rapids or any set. You need to cut it to size, it come in a roll. Made by S&N #4209   phone:1-800-876-1261
I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR THE LAST MONTH, BECAUSE OF THE HEAT IN NEBRASKA, I was at camp at 100+ for a week at had no problem with site staying in. I cut the sheet about 3" to 4"  when cut small hole to go over(thru) set.

    11.Glucagon Emergency Kit-Get one read it, then show someone how and when  to use it. Have your MD write a note for you about when and how to use it. I have found that it works best if the person going to do the shot write it out in their own hand on how to do it.
    12.ER KIT-I had made up a kit for me all the time, then for work or school or my car and a big one at home in it I have everything I need to take care of myself. Blood Sugar Kit -meter, strips, lancets, glucose tablets, Glucagon ER kit with doc's note. Pump kit- infusion set ie. Tender, rapid, classic infusion set, dressing Tegaderm , and cut Hypafix, batteries, syringe cartridge set, Insulin syringe, alcohol, hibistat pads, Skin-prep pads, betadine pads, Uni-solve pads. Money about $3. in coins to make a call with or get food if I need it. And a note from my doctor about me, my pump and all my meds I take and why. My card is in every kit with my name, address, phone &  who to call if I have a problem. Insulin and other meds I take for one or two days is in every kit . In home one everything for two weeks. As I watch  the storm  on TV tonight I remember to check home kit, if I need to go I can go fast.
      Remember to check with you MD about using things, about letters they need to write for you. Set up a plan of action now before you need it.
   I hope you can find something to help with the problem. I will be going to the Big Red game and the State Fair on Saturday, and the SAC Air show  on Sunday, I will let you know how my site stays in. So............