[IP] Warning: Minimed insulin reservoir escape hazard

Fellow pump users--

 I have not posted anything to this site for a couple of years, but an
 experience I had yesterday compels me to send out some words of caution
 others using the Minimed pump who may keep their pumps in a pocket as I

 do.  Today I had a fairly severe low and treated myself.  Shortly
 afterward, I removed my pump from my pocket to find that the hinged
 holding the reservoir was open, and that the reservoir had fallen out
 the pump.  Worse yet, when I went to put the reservoir back in place, I

 found that the plunger was depressed below where it had been earlier,
 and evidently the plunger had been forced down while in my pocket,
 forcing an unknown quantity of insulin into my system.   I had no way
 know for sure how much insulin I had received, so I began eating more
 glucose and regular testing.  After eating a whole roll of Dex glucose
 and a tube of glutose, I still found my blood sugar dropping a few
 minutes later.  I began to experience clear signs of low blood sugar,
 and since I had exhausted my glucose supply, I headed to the cafeteria
 (I was teaching at the time and was bringing a class with me) and asked

 others to watch over my class while I treated myself.  I quickly took
 a couple of containers of juice and two large cookies.  I began to feel

 better and headed off for lunch (without taking any additional
 insulin).  I ate lunch and sent my kids home (I teach kindergarten).
 Soon I began to feel low again, having already taken in over 200 grams
 of carbohydrate, I was beginning to wonder if I could keep up with the
 massive amount of insulin that must have been injected into my system.
 I downed a roll of sweet tarts and some other candy I rustled up, and
 began to feel better.  I continued eating and testing over and over
 throughout the afternoon, and was thereafter able to maintain blood
 sugars between 60 and 100 for the next several hours.  I took no
 additional insulin, keeping the pump on suspend, yet I took in over 450

 grams of carbohydrate and at 7:00 pm, 9 hours after I first felt low,
 blood sugar was at 104, even with all that food and no additional
 insulin.  I estimate that when my reservoir fell from the pump I must
 have taken in around 60 units of insulin in one dose--a very, very
 dangerous amount.  Fortunately, I am alive and well to tell the story.

 The moral of the story for me is this:  If you keep your Minimed pump
 your pocket, make sure it is additionally kept in some kind of
 wrap-around case that will make it impossible for the reservoir/syringe

 to drop out accidentally.  I've been a pumper for 8 years now and this
 is the first time something of this sort has happened.  I like my
 Minimed (I used a Disetronic for 4 years also and liked that one as
 well--this could not happen with a Disetronic) but now have a new and
 healthy respect for what can happen if something goes wrong with the

 Have others had this experience??

 I'm writing to Minimed and asking them to include a caution in their
 literature for others.  This could be fatal.

 --Andrew Andersen