Re: [IP] How do you bolus for pasta?

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Darrin Parker wrote:

> As he sub line says:  How do you bolus for pasta?
> Tried for the 2nd time in 27 yrs and I think I'll wait another 15
> before trying this stunt again.  Both times I've tried to eat pasta
> the bg goes over 500 and that's after a huge bolus.  Any ideas?  I
> would never cook this type of food at home but it is difficult to
> avoid this when away or when eating out 100% of the time.
> Since starting the pump I've eaten potato & rice for the first time
> in 27 years wihtout an extreme high.  Took about 9 months to learn
> each of thses fods.  Questioin is as I sit here waiting for the bg to
> drop back to normal i am not sure I want to try to get a handle on
> pasta.  Would any of you go thru the extremem highs a dozen times to
> learn just one food?  tried pizza once since starting teh puimp and
> was 600+ for a day!  baffels me how even noon-diabetics wat this
> tsuff but would like to learn.  No carb book tells how to est the
> carbs in these two foods as it seems they are prepared as little
> differnt each time.

Almost all pasta (just the noodles) is ~ 50grams per cup cooked. Doesn't
matter if it's soggy or dry, it takes roughly the same amount of space.
The real killer is the sauce, cheese, etc... that gets added. Red sauce
you can treat pretty much like ketchup -- the cheese's you must account
for the delayed carb release for protein content.