Re: [IP] How do you bolus for pasta?

Darrin Parker wrote:
> Tried for the 2nd time in 27 yrs and I think I'll wait another 15
> before trying this stunt again.  Both times I've tried to eat pasta
> the bg goes over 500 and that's after a huge bolus.

Natalie's totally unscientific, unproven theory:

For me, big boluses don't seem to work for ANY food. I hypothesize that
it's because the insulin forms a bubble under the skin, and can only be
absorbed from the edges, so most of the additional insulin just sits
there, and the volume of the insulin bubble doesn't increase very much,
thus absorption is not commensurate.

I've tried taking half the bolus up front, and spreading the rest out
over an hour or two. Pasta is still difficult, but this technique does
seem to help.

The other thing that I observe in myself, is that portion size really
does matter -- eating larger portions and then expecting to be able to
get the same results with larger boluses just doesn't work. This fits in
with above theory.

Of course, I hate this phenomenon, because I would LIKE to pig out (and
do, sometimes!), but this is the reality of not having a physiological
insulin-response system -- pump may be better than anything else out
there, but it's still a poor substitute for a normal pancreas!!

All I can suggest is that you plan on eating other stuff with your pasta
and limiting the pasta to small portions -- the diabetes ain't going
away any time soon, so we're just stuck having to live with it!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted