Re: [IP] Quick-Set - Unreasonalble Response

Patrick G. Jobe wrote:
> At 09:07 AM 8/22/2001 -0800, I wrote:
> > why wouldn't
> >you just disconnect, prime the bubble out, and then prime the cannula
> >just like a new set?
> At this point the cannula is in my skin. so I can not prime it like a new
> set (ie. until insulin drips out).

OK, I'm beginning to see where it is that I don't understand what you're
doing. I don't ever prime ANY cannula until it's already in my skin. I
thought that was standard!
> With the Quick-Sets and the Sof-Sets you can not remove the inserter needle
> before  the set is inserted because once removed it can not be put back in
> without the danger of tearing the flexible cannula.

Previous paragraph answers this -- the inserter needle puts the cannula
in my skin, and then I remove it -- cannula is already in.  However, the
cannula is "dry" until I prime it IN my skin. There would be no reason
to take out the inserter needle to prime and then put it back in to
> For the Quick-Sets and Sof-Sets the volume given in the instructions is
> what is necessary to fill the space that the inserter needle was occupying
> and does not include the additional volumes (list above) that are now empty
> in the case of a set that ran dry but would normally be filled for a
> freshly primed new set.

As far as I can tell there aren't any additional volumes -- once insulin
is dripping from the needle on the tube end of the connector, I insert
the needle into the connector of the already-inserted set and prime the
amount recommended.

I thought this was standard procedure; am I wrong???
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted