What does your dr. mean "we don't do the urine test"?

I believe when a dr. first sees you and you haven't already had a 24 hr.
urine, that it is wise to do one so that you have a base to work with and
see whether it gets better or worse.

A lot of dr.'s don't concern themselves with kidney problems unless
something shows up on the bun's or creatin (sp?) from your blood tests.

I know that once I found out I had beginning of renal failure, they
immediately put me on Captropril to protect my kidneys.  I have not had a 24
hr. urine since then because the dr. told me that I am on medication, eating
a low fat, low protein diet and trying very hard to keep my b.g. under
control and other than that, there is nothing else you can do.

I do know that they use a test strip to dip into urine to show whether or
not protein is in urine but that does not give a detailed enough report.

I would re check w/your doctor about this and see what he/she uses to make
these determinations.
Kathy B.