[IP] Re: gram scale

In a message dated 8/21/01 2:13:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  I would like to know if some of you use a gram scale daily or often and
if it
 is really a good, useful tool for you.  Do you think the $59.95 one at
 diabetesmall.com  is fine?  Is it worth the investment?  Koow of other places
 to buy one?------------------------------------------------------ >>

I bought a gram scale soon after Claire got her pump and we use it every day.
 I sometimes even carry it out with us, but I'm not sure that is a good idea,
if it can harm its delicate balance or not.

I weigh lots of her food items and use the carb factors in the Pumping
Insulin book or from the box of food, to calculate carbs.  This way, she can
have a bowl of chips, or a handful of crackers without counting out each one.
 I also weigh fruit and ice-cream and her morning cereal--easier than
measuring and she can pick the amount she wants in her bowl.

Not sure about the one you mention, but get one that has a "tare feature"
(can zero out the weight of the bowl or plate) and one that measures to 1
gram units.

The hospital dietician gave me the name of a mail order place (Nasco) where I
ordered ours from.  (Its harder to order from the internet in Canada due to
customs duties, exchange rates etc.).  Also restaurant supply stores also
should have at least one model available.  I have found it well worth the

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7