From: email @ redacted
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 12:30 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Question about dining out

In a message dated 8/20/01 11:15:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> couldn't figure out how much food I had until it was actually in front of
> me
> etc etc.  How would I know how much to bolus?

when I go out to eat I test my BG as soon as I sit down and note it in my log
book - I then LEAVE the book out on the table - and when the food comes I
eyeball it and do my best guestimate (carb counting is NOTan exact science)
and calculate the carbs - I usually include what I call "fudge factor"
exspecially in mexican or chinese restaurants to account for hidden sugars in
sauces - this isusually an extra 10 carbs - I total, then figure the bolus,
write it down, and bolus - only then do I put my book away.  That way if the
kitchen was slow then I don't worry about going low.

Linda & Dax