Re: [IP] Quick-Set - Unreasonalble Response

In a message dated 8/20/2001 4:56:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I'm using the Quick-set with 9mm cannula. This weekend - after several
> hours on unexpected high BGs I discovered a humongous air bubble in the
> tubing extending from the infusion site back 6-8 inches. I disconnected and
> primed out the bubble but now I had an in-place site with air in. I called
> MM and asked how much to prime to remove all the air - both the  0.5 units
> worth in the cannula and any amount in the rest of the set that is normally
> filled before you remove the inserter needle. The answer I got was -
> Replace entire set (tubing and all). I said that seemed unreasonable why
> did they recommend that? Because the set that is inserted is now unprimed.
> Yes that is why I called. What volume do I need to prime it. We don't
> recommend that. Why not. Because you do not know the volume. I could not
> get the MM person out of this circular argument and get a straight answer
> to a simple technical question - GRRRRRRR!!!!
> I finally gave up on them and just guessed and primed 1.5 units - At this
> point my BG was so high that I was going to have to make additional
> corrections latter on anyway so it really did not matter very much. But the
> experience was very frustrating. For some reason MM is really hung-up on
> this issue.
> Pat

Hi, I also noticed that MM advice they give is "always" change your set! It
would be different if it was alittle more affordable. I called  Sunday night
with problems and they told me to change the set after I had just changed it
prior to calling and I had also changed it the day before. It makes you
wonder if that is another way of getting you to buy more so they can earn
more money! I also thought that was unreasonable. I talked in circles with
the rep. Finally he tolm me it was up to me what i decided to do and let it
go at that. I just thought I would let you know I understand completely. It
can get frustrating at times.