Re: [IP] Fine Tuning

In a message dated 8/20/2001 6:03:51 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> How do I fine tune things again?  How do I know my exact basal rates?  Right
>  now, I give 1 unit for every 15 grams of carbs and that seems to do well.
>  Also, with the humalog, I have heard people giving the bolus from 5 minutes
>  to 15 minutes before they eat- and I know this effects the blood sugar a
>  great deal.  I usually wait 5 minutes, sometimes less, but how do I know
>  proper time to wait?  I know these are a lot of questions, but any help
>  would be appreciated.

Go to the Insulin Pumpers web site and order yourself a copy of "Pumping
Insulin" by John Walsh . . . this is the 3rd edition of the book and covers
everything you have questions about (including Humalog) -- plus a whole lot
more . . . It's been recommended by so many pumpers, and I've found it to be
an invaluable resource.  Definitely worth the investment.  Here's the link:
<A HREF="http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/books.shtml">Insulin Pumpers Book
Ordering Page</A>

Good luck to you!
PumpMama to Katie (age 10) Happily pumping since 6-1-01 with her Animas pump,