[IP] Fine Tuning

I have been on the pump for 2 years now.  In the beginning, I had everything
down pat, basal rates, etc, and my a1c was a 5.  Then I got pretty depressed
when I had to quit school and work for 2 years due to extensive eye
surgeries and my a1c went up to a 7.  I just had another a1c taken and will
know those results shortly.  My eyes have stabalized and am going back to
complete my BA and Masters and I got a job working with autistic children.
I want my a1c down again.  I have a basal rate of .5 during the day and .6
in the night- I don't really sleep but 5 hours a day with a nap-maybe.
Maybe since I have a schedule now strting in a week, I will sleep better.
How do I fine tune things again?  How do I know my exact basal rates?  Right
now, I give 1 unit for every 15 grams of carbs and that seems to do well.
Also, with the humalog, I have heard people giving the bolus from 5 minutes
to 15 minutes before they eat- and I know this effects the blood sugar a
great deal.  I usually wait 5 minutes, sometimes less, but how do I know the
proper time to wait?  I know these are a lot of questions, but any help
would be appreciated.