Re: [IP] mixing Humalog with R

On 19 Aug 2001, at 14:49, email @ redacted wrote:

> I regret that I had not been keeping up with this but just read the
> message about site problems with Humalog.  I have noticed  this for a
> while (months) didn't give much thought to a fix until the note about
> mixing Humalog with Reg or Velosulin--could someone let me know where
> the discussion began about this mix and the results. I did it with my
> last change of cart and tubing and actually have noticed better bs and
> no stinging or lump.  thanks Karen Radzik dx 12-81/pump 90

This has been a subject on the IP site for a long time.  The earliest on
record I found was this from Jim Sandberg, one of the earliest members
along with Ellen Ullman:

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 08:48:13 -0700
From: Jim_S <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] 50% humalog/50% velosulin

At 02:29 PM 10/10/97 -0400, (CamelsRFun) you wrote:
>Subj: Profile of Jim Sandberg < email @ redacted >
>Date: 97-10-10 04:06:18 EDT >
>This is a fascinating combination to me. Can you explain how you arrived
>at it, and how you predict basal rates/bolus ratios? I understand that with
>Humalog you have to change the cartridge and tubing more often. With
>the velosulin is this also true?

I was unwilling to change the site as often as I needed to with just H. With
both R & H, I had problems with clogging in the Comfort/Tender infusion
sets. The mix was actually not scientific at all. Needed the buffering so I
could use the Tenders. It's very easy to mix up a 50/50 mixture of H/V in an
empty insulin bottle - simply load an equal number of syringes and empty
into the bottle. When I was using just H, I didn't notice any need to change
the cartridge or tubing more often. The problem (at least for me) seemed to
be the site itself. I could use the H that had been in the pump with a
syringe and it worked fine. When injecting H, I also noticed that the skin
around the injection site seemed tougher than when I was using R. I really
think the H reacts with the tissue of the infusion site and reduces
Jim_S (JWS) (type I, pump since 08/94, dx 10/09/65)
mailto:email @ redacted