Re: [IP] Comparison of 508, D-Tron, Animas - ESD & NVM

Lyndy wrote:
<Tho' I'm not sure where you heard about any static discharge
problems with the Animas pump -- I haven't heard anything about static
electricity problems except in connection with the Minimed pump.  The Animas
pump uses non-volatile memory>

I'm not sure where you got your information about Non-Volatile Memory being
immune to Electro-Static Discharge, but it is not.  Any computer chip currently
in production is subject to damage from extreme levels of ESD.  If NVM chips
could not be damaged from ESD, then none of the manufacturers would have to
test for it, and they would save money in qualifying new products.  However,
here's an example from a Fairchild Semiconductor NVM qual report for a product
that passes the requirement at 3000 V on the Human Body Model but fails at 4000
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/collateral/asmc_qual_mw.pdf - see page 54

It's likely that the Animas & Disetronic pumps are configured with extra
protection around the chips.  But for example, walking across the carpet can
generate about 15,000 V depending on humidity, etc.  If that gets discharged
through someone's pump, then it would be a problem.  Just like it would if you
discharged it through your desktop computer.

Be careful out there.
Shelly V, mom to Luke, 6, pumping 3/01 & 15-year semiconductor industry
engineering veteran

Do You Yahoo!?