[IP] Merida

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:12:28 -0400
From: "Joni E. Spurlin, Ph.D." <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] weight

Two thoughts on this subject - my doctor said I gained weight on
the pump,
because now I was efficiently using the food, instead of "peeing' it
so eating the same amount before and after the pump - caused me
to gain
weight using the pump - so of course, I should cut down on amount
I eat

second - he is now considering putting me on "merida" - diet pills -
anyone take these?  I have gained 40 pounds since being on the
pump 1.5
years  (type II)  this is unusual - so don't get worried for yourself
my BG is very good control for first time in 10 years!)

Hi Joni,
I have exactly the same problem.   My doc said it was standard for
pump users to gain 10-20 pounds with good control.   Only I was
20 pounds overweight when I started.  Now 40 pounds over.  And
they are on with superglue!   I am having a really hard time getting
them off.  Trying to do the low carb thing - as a carb addict - I am
really struggling and as a sort of "vegetarian" I don't do meat very

Have started new exercise regime and that may make the
difference.  My doc prescribed Xenical....I have been on it a year
and I haven't gained, but also haven't lost.  I don't have much fat in
my foods.  I believe Carbs are the "enemy".   It is lifelong struggle.
Bonnie Richardson