Re: [IP] Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy

>If anyone has this diagnosis of PDR I'd appreciate you sharing with me how
>your surgery went, how much of your vision was lost and your age when the
>surgery was performed.  If you would also tell me about your prognosis, I'd
>be so grateful.

Not to worry.  Most have retinopathy to some extent by the time the
duration is in the decades for D.  Now a days, the first 20 or so
years of PDR is seldom a threat to vision *if treated promptly and
correctly* by a good opthamologist experienced in diabetic
retinopathy.  Many on this list, like me, get lazer a few times a
year and have had no serious side-effects.  some do experience some
side-effects but more often than not there is little deterioration in
vision over the years of lazer.  Many expereince a slow deterioration
over years of lazer in the acuteness of sight.  IME:  After 9 years
of lazer I still have 20/20 per the charts tests but vision is
definitely not as sharp as it was once was due to the lazer and
retinopathy.  Have trouble reading the fast food menus ya know......
Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Nine months pumping thanks to the support of wonderful internet
friends & the http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ mailing list.  Please
donate NOW!

Insulin infusion pump as given me better control than I had achieved
in 27 years of MDI!  To date:  50% improvement in average bg's &
fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &  7.0  (N = 4.3 - 5.8).