[IP] Re: Tincture of Benzoin

At 09:34 PM 8/15/01 -0700, you wrote:

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:51:46 -0500
From: "Connie Borders" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Tincture Of Benzoin

     Sorry about the empty previos post.  I have a question for the people
that use Tincture of Benzoin  -  I bought a bottle of what I thought was it.
   The stuff I have is not sticky at all.  On the bottle it says Tincture of
Benzion.  It is made by Smith and Nephew, it is a 4oz bottle and cost $20.
Do I have the right stuff or could I possibly bought a bad bottle.

Connie - mom to Andrew (3) MM508 "Blue"

Connie, how are you applying it? I use a cotton swab and apply a thin film
to the new site after cleaning the area and before taking the pump apart.
This will allow time to air dry and be sticky when you apply the barrier. I
have had mixed experiences with 2 brands of Tincture of Benzoin Compound.
Both bottles have been fairly good in being sticky but I have yet to find
anything that will stick when I am very sweaty. Also there seems to be a
difference between brands. The national pharmacy I previously did business
with ordered by default the Swan brand. This product (YMMV) caused my skin
to blister and become itchy within hours of applying (YMMV). It was a dark
brown liquid. The new local pharmacy I now use ordered the Humco brand and
in about a month I (YMMV) have had no adverse skin reaction (YMMV). This
product is a honey color. Hope this helps some.