RE: [IP] DNR/Living Wills

email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> How do you know...you go to the library and research the 'living will'
> laws/regs for your state.  You talk to your physician and get
> explanations as
> to the specifics.

"Living wills" are legal documents, not medical.  If one has questions, one
should see an attorney.

The other document that has (almost) been referred to is a durable power of
attorney for health (not the same as a durable power of attorney!).  A
standard power of attorney is in effect only as long as the grantor is
competent.  If, for any reason, the grantor becomes incompetent, the power
of attorney is void.  The durable power grants the holder the legal
authority to make decisions on behalf of the grantor *when the grantor is
not competent*.  But these still do not allow for decisions of health, life,
or death.  A durable power of attorney for health grants that specific
authority for health matters, including signing a DNR order.

But it bears repeating that these documents, including a DNR order, are
*legal*, not medical, documents.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR