Re: [IP] Alc after 1 yr. of pumping not too great

In a message dated 8/14/2001 10:55:19 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> When Lily was your daughter's age, we went
>  throught the same thing. Basal requirements moving around, periods of
>  high insulin use followed by a decline, etc..... this went on for a
>  couple of years then smoothed out.

We're just beginning to see this with Katie . . . I have a hard time figuring
out when I should actually change her basal or carb ratio -- because it seems
like just when I get ready to, she goes back to normal . . . For example,
when we were in Hawaii she had a 10 day stretch where it was obvious she was
have a hormore surge at night -- she'd go to bed at 100-120 and sometime
between 11 pm and  2 am she'd  go up to 200-275 and would need a corrective
bolus 50% higher than usual . . . some nights she'd only need one bolus,
sometimes the "surge" would last 4 hours . . . Then the night I finally
decided to do adjust her basals, she stayed right around her bedtime number
all night long, and has been since . . .  Any hints/rules of thumb on when
you should consider changing things (instead of just testing frequently and
doing corrections)???