RE: [IP] Denial of Coverage--A vent

Whether they're self-insurers isn't necessarily the deciding factor. The language in the policy determines what they must do. If there's no language specifically excluding pump coverage, then they must cover it if your doctor orders it for you.

My employer (University of Texas Systems)  self-insures. My pump and supplies are covered at 100% / a blessing for which I'm ever so grateful, especially when I order those expensive sets.

Get a copy of your policy and read it. If it doesn't exclude the pump under durable medical supplies, then it's covered.

Dana's suggestion to provide data regarding ongoing costs of complications is also good, but your policy language is your best bet.