Re: [IP] merck medco ice???? - long

Don't trust them - if the weather is hot as it was here in NY last week - no
matter what the insulin will be bad and since we're pumpers it will take us
a while before we realize that the insulin is bad and not the site or the
absorption.  This happen to me last Thursday - I was using my last vial from
Merck Medco that was shipped in May (received 2 replacement shipments then
because of hot insulin and third time it was cooler out but still with no
ice)- The insulin was good but my BS was a little high when I left it out
for 1 hr in air conditioned room - I guess it finally lost the potency and
my BS was high after a site, reservior and set change.  I bolused a
correction bolus and it bought it down a little and creeped up again - so I
corrected again and it bought it down to 180 and went back up - ok bad site?
Changed site and same thing, then changed the whole thing again and gave a
shot and was up all thursday nite. The new set and shot did the same BS was
up and shot only bought BS down a little.  Now I'm into friday morning, high
BS - must be insulin since the shot didn't do it and all the infusions set I
changed looked good.  Fiday at 6:30 am changed everything with a new vial
and gave shot with new insulin and had to go to work.  It still took it
about 5 hours - and I said what the h--- I give up and decided to have lunch
and bolused double the amount.  Then it went down finally and its been good
since.  The problem is I may have had ketones which made it take a while
before it came down.

Even though some had said Merck Medco is now shipping with ice packs - I
filled my insulin at a local pharmacy for the safe side