I, too have terrible problems with weight and insulin.  I think the key
is to take the right amount -- not too much.  I gain very fast when I am
taking too much insulin, and it's impossible to lose weight, even on a
controlled diet.  In fact, one of the theories behind the famous "sugar
busters" diet is that people gain weight because they eat too much
sugar, causing their bodies to secrete too much insulin.  So I guess it
makes sense.  (assuming this premise is correct).  Of course, if you
take too little insulin, you'll lose weight, but you'll have 10+ A1C's.
Any one have a take on this theory?