Re: [IP] DNR/Living Wills

Regarding living wills and DNR status...remember that if you are young and do
not have a terminal condition, they can, and usually will ignore your wishes.
 This is what I was told by the case managers at the hospital where I work
(Lakewood Hospital, a Cleveland Clinic Hospital.)

I was asking about getting a living will together as when you work on the
ICU, you see a lot of things that you DON'T want done to you and living with
a chronic condition I decided what therapies I will and will not have.  It is
written that the physician may use his own judgment as far as treatment, and
will especially do so with a young person, despite that patient having a
living will.

I may be only 30, but feel that if I had a living will at this age, that it
should be honored.

Roxanne Villanueva  RD, LD, CPT
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Certified Minimed Pump Trainer
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18+ years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
(First with Disetronic, now with MM 508 and much happier!)
e-mail: email @ redacted
e-mail: email @ redacted

'Nobody when knows when they are going to die...we could all step out into
the street tomorrow and get hit by a bus.  But those of us living with a
chronic disease can see that bus coming.' - - - Author Unknown

'Diabetes is a disease of complications waiting for them to happen.' - - -
Mary Tyler Moore

In a message dated 8/13/2001 06:22:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted
writes:

> Not true Sylvia. I personally deal with patients going their last mile on
> Life's treadmill and always respect and obey their desires as do my
> collegues. Ith your Living will says not to do something the nurses will
see
> to it that it is respected. Nurses make all the real decisions and tell the
> doctors you shouldn't do this or that, the patient didn't want that. As far
> as going against doctor's thoughts, the patient is supreme here not a
> doctor's ego. Life is fragile and ephemeral. once the candle goes out, you
> cannot just relight it. spot

Roxanne Villanueva  RD, LD, CPT
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Certified Minimed Pump Trainer
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18+ years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
(First with Disetronic, now with MM 508 and much happier!)
e-mail: email @ redacted
e-mail: email @ redacted

'Don't antagonize a Diabetic...we have to put up with enough pricks
everyday.' - - - Author Unknown.

'Nobody when knows when they are going to die...we could all step out into
the street tomorrow and get hit by a bus.  But those of us living with a
chronic disease can see that bus coming.' - - - Roxanne Villanueva