Re: [IP] Pumping for Children

Sylvia <email @ redacted> wrote:

>   Our endo maintains that for someone at Josh's age (9.5) he does not really
> want to see an A1C much lower than 7.0 at this age because of the risk of
> hypos.  And we are currently using a target BG of 110 during the day and 120
> at bedtime.

But that works out to an HbA1c of around 6% or maybe even a little lower.  7% is approximately a 140 mg/dL average.

Probably for most younger kids (such as Josh), it probably is appropriate to aim a little higher - I don't know the pediatric consequences of hypo episodes.  But I would think it also would depend on the maturity of the child and the vigilance of the parents as much as fear of hypos.

But I'm most certainly *not* expert here . . . just thinking out loud (after a fashion).

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.