[IPn] Notice for users of H/V mix

For those of you with site problems who have found an H/V mix helps
extend site life, there may be another option.

There is substantial anecdotal evidence that something on the order of
5-6% of insulin pump users that use Humalog in their pumps experience
premature infusion site failure, marked by rising blood sugar levels
and increasing resistance to further administration of Humalog to the
same site. The solution to this problem for many has been to mix a
small amount of Velosulin or regular insulin with the Humalog. The
most common mix is 5 parts Humalog and 1 part Velosulin or regular
(Velosulin being the most common choice in the US). For current stats

What's New:
For some time I have been in communication with Novo Nordisk about
their new insulin analog, Novolog. Recently I have received a "few"
reports from first users of Novolog that previously were using an H/V
mix because of the aforementioned problems indicating that the
premature site loss problems do not appear to be present when they use
Novolog in their pumps. This is not very conclusive and not at all
scientific. There is some science behind this but the problem is
still under investigation.

Last week I receive a communication from Novo indicating that they
would make Novolog available under their compassionate use program for
people with diabetes who are experiencing difficulty  with other
insulins. The details follow.

NOTE: Novolog is not yet approved for use in pumps but like many
other FDA approved drugs, may be used for any purpose for which a
physician decides to order its use. I would suggest that pump use not
be specifically mentioned if you decide to obtain Novolog under the
compassionate use program

IF YOU USE THIS PROGRAM, I want to know about it and what results you
have using Novolog instead of H/V mix. This is of significant
importance to many pumpers.

Michael Robinton
Executive Director
Insulin Pumpers