[IP] pump awareness

One morning last week I was sitting in a cafe
in a small town in Oregon. I had my pump out
because I'd just bolused for my food when the
server at the cafe walked up to pour some coffee
for a woman (a stranger) I'd just started chatting
with. The guy saw the pump and said "Oh, is that
one of those diabetes pumps?" I said it was, and
the woman chimed in "Oh, those are great things!"
I was floored. Usually people have no idea what
it is -- they think it's a pager. Meeting two total
strangers who were familiar with pumps was a first
for me. Turned out that the woman is a high school
teacher; three kids and one teacher at her school
have pumps. And the cafe guy has a friend who uses
a pump.

Made my day....

/Janet Lafler