[IP] My first A1c and my exercise question

Hi, pumpers.

Since most of my friends--as non-diabetics--can only be politely supportive
when I brag about my latest A1c, I thought I'd share with all of you.  I've
had diabetes for 30 years (I'm 39).  For years I've had pretty good control
and was on multiple daily injections.  My usual A1c's were in a range from
6.7 to 7.3.  I thought that was pretty good.  I got my Mini-Med pump three
months ago, and I've been amazed at how much easier it is to keep my blood
sugars normal.  Of course I test between 6 and 10 times a day, but it's
worth it because I feel so much better.

Anyway, my A1c last week was 5.5!  The doctor tells me that's normal for a
*non*-diabetic!  So, as you can imagine, I try to talk every diabetic I meet
into getting a pump.

My problem now is with exercise.  My nurse tells me to simply suspend the
pump or take it off when I'm doing aerobic exercise, but if I wait until I
start exercising to turn it off, I go way low.  The other day I tried
suspending the pump an hour before I started, and I had better results, but
I still could have gone low if I had started out with a lower level.  I
don't want to start snacking before I exercise the way I did before I got
the pump.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Arlie in Chicago