[IP] Re: Prsident Bush's Decision

> It has been suggested that the stem cell research decision be put to a
> popular vote. In a perfect world, that would be a fair solution;

It HAS been put to a vote.  Bush II said very
clearly that he would reinstate the Bush I policies
on stem cell research (I posted this here last
October).  Clinton eased and redefined many of those
restrictions (which appalled Bush II).  In cases
like this the President has the overriding decision
making power for this and because we may not have
been concerned with it at election time does not
mean that we were not informed and that we did not
have a clear choice.

We can be thankful that he did not stick to the
letter of his promise and hope that a bi-partisan
Senate can expand upon this decision.  Seventy of
the Senators are in favor of stem cell research,
although many may be held back by this half way
measure.  If he would have absolutely ended
government funding of stem cell research, there
would have quickly been a Senate bill to expand it.
email @ redacted
A multitude of laws in a country is like a great
number of physicians, a
sign of weakness and malady.
 - Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)