[IP] Re: Living Will

>Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:26:37 -0400
>From: "Julie Britt" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] living will
>Do any of you have a living will, or some other legal document regarding
>medical care in case you are not able to say what you want?  What does it
>say?  How would I go about making one?  Can I do it myself or do I have to
>have a lawyer do it?  Does it have to be notarized?  Can I say everything-
>medical care decisions in an emergency, what I want in case I am terminal or
>in a vegetative state, and what I want done with my body when I die- all in
>one document, or should I have
>separate ones?

Any legal document written during life can be easily overturned by
numerous parties after one's death or incapacity.  Trust me, been
thru it.

The best precaution is to have a simple Will drawn up by a lawyer and
a notarized attachment (which holds no legal water) cc'd to your GP's
file regarding your wishes if unable to communicate.  at this point
the onus and trust is on your immediate family members to decide
whether or not to accept your "living will".  when writing this
documnent I have repeatedly placed the onus in the phrase:  "If
unable to meaningfully communicate...".

YMMV country to country and state to state but this is how it works in NS.

Notwithstanding, a written, witnessed document to this effect is a
great idea and I drew my first one up when I was 13.

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Six months pumping thanks to the support of wonderful internet
friends & the http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ mailing list.  Please
donate NOW!

Insulin infusion pump as given me better control than I had achieved
in 27 years of MDI!  To date:  50% improvement in average bg's & 60%
fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  First post-pump HeA1c = 5.1   (N = 4.3 - 5.8).